My parent’s have stored lots of different things in their barn over the years & the last time I was in the loft, I found an old, beat-up children’s rocking chair that I thought I could refinish & give to my daughter. I finished it today.
First, I used a wire brush to remove as much peeling paint as I could. I then painted it with a gloss, white spray paint & left it to dry over night.
I had some left over grey fabric to make the seat cushion. Instead of sewing a removable cushion, I decided to use a staple gun & hot glue to upholster the seat. (I’m hoping this will prevent Isabelle from destroying it!)
So, I cut the fabric & a thin piece of foam to the shape & size of the seat. Then I stapled the fabric to the wooden seat, keeping the edges folded under & the front edge open.
Then I stuffed the cut foam into the fabric pocket.
Pulling the fabric taught, I stapled the front edge & trimmed the excess fabric.
To hide the staples along the front edge, I made some welting by sewing strips of the grey fabric around rope. I then hot glued it over the staples.
To further hide the front edge, I added some simple white rope under the welting with more hot glue.
Finally, I finished the seat by adding the white rope as trim around the entire edge of the cushion. This cleaned up the stapled edge of the seat.
I have two adult-sized wicker chairs on my front porch that this little rocker matches. The fabric pattern ended up being a little crooked & the front edge isn’t perfect either, but all in all I think it turned out really cute (especially since I only spent $6 on the entire project!)